This paper analyzes the relationship between pollution of the natural environment and the population’s mental health, based on the example of three urban agglomerations: Gdańsk, Poznań, and Katowice. The following factors were analyzed: air quality, the quality of water from the municipal waterworks, data concerning social pathologies, number of private psychological, psychotherapeutic, and psychiatric practices, as well as statistics concerning psychiatric healthcare in the Pomeranian, Greater Poland, and Silesian voivodships in 2011. Based on the collected data, presented in a descriptive manner, a hypothesis was drawn that natural environment pollutions may influence the mental health of the population. This conclusion was drawn from the fact that worse air quality in Katowice correlates to a higher percentage of social pathologies and a higher demand for psychiatric healthcare than in Poznań or Gdańsk.
- Kocur J. Psychiatry and ecology. In: Bilikiewicz A. (ed.). Psychiatry Volume III: Ethical, legal, organizational and social issues. Urban & Partner: Wrocław 2003; p. 582–592.
- Kocur J, Bukowski J, Trendak W. Ecological threats and suicide rates in Poland. In: Ecological psychiatry. PTP: Katowice 1997; p. 46–49.
- Kocur J, Bukowski J. Suicide and the threat of the environment. In: Hołyst B (ed.). Suicide. Polish Society of Mental Hygiene: Warszawa; 2002; p. 266–271.
- Bandiera FC, Arheart KL, Caban-Martinez AJ, Fleming LE, McCollister K, Dietz NA, LeBlanc WG, Davila EP, Lewis JE, Serdar B, Lee DJ. Secondhand Smoke Exposure and Depressive Symptoms. Psychosomatic Medicine. 2010;72(1);68–72.
- Wueve J, Puett RC, Schwartz J, Yanosky JD, Laden F, Grodstein F. Exposure to Particulate Air Pollution and Cognitive Dcline in Older Women. Arch Intern Med. 2012;172(3);219–227.
- Lundberg A. Psychiatrie Aspects of Air Pollution. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1996;114(2);227–231.
- Rajca M. Statistical information for 2011 year for the city of Katowice. To: Kinga Szczech [e‑mail] 7 November 2012, 10:36.
- Wącior A. Answer to Ms. Szczech. To: Kinga Szczech [e‑mail] 15 February 2013, 12:31.
- Greater Poland Air Monitoring. Annual raport, [online] http://casl.poznan.wios.gov.pl/iseo/ [access 2013-01-23].
- Silesian Air Monitoring. Automatic measurements. [online] http://stacje.katowice.pios.gov.pl/monitoring/ [access 2013-01-23].
- Voivodship Inspectorates for Environmental Protection in Gdańsk, Report on the state of the environment in the Pomeranian Voivodeship in 2011. Pub. Library of Environmental Monitoring: Gdańsk; 2012.
- Voivodship Sanitary and Epidemiological Stations in Gdańsk, Reports from surveys conducted as part of the monitoring monitoring from the municipal water supply in Gdańsk, in 2011.
- Voivodship Sanitary and Epidemiological Stations in Katowice, Reports from surveys conducted as part of the monitoring monitoring from the municipal water supply in Katowice, in 2011
- Voivodship Sanitary and Epidemiological Station in Poznań, Reports from surveys conducted as part of the monitoring monitoring from the municipal water supply in Poznań, in 2011
- Sprengel Adam, answer: Municipal Police Station in Gdańsk, To: Kinga Szczech [e‑mail] 13 November 2012, 13:42.
- Kawa Wojciech, Municipal Police Station in Poznań [e‑mail] 14 November 2012, 10:15.
- Ministry of the Interior, Report on the state of security in Poland in 2011.Pub. Ministry of the Interior: Warszawa; 2012; 10.
- Central Electronic Register and Information on Economic Activity [online] https://prod.ceidg.gov.pl/CEIDG/ceidg.public.ui/Search.aspx [access 2013-03-01].
- Local Databank, Stacjonarne Health Care Facilities. State of Health of Population. [online] http://www.stat.gov.pl/bdl/app/dane_podgrup.hier?p_id= 546019&p_token= 1311291614 [access 2013-02-15].
- Inspection of Environmental Protection, Pollution of Air in Poland in 2009 on the background of many years. Pub. Library of Environmental Monitoring: Warsaw; 2011.
- Results of the nationwide study on tap water quality. [online] http://www.tester.brita‑polska.pl/wyniki‑ogolnopolskiego‑badania‑jakosci‑wody‑z- kranu,artykuł,54 [access 2013-08-10].
- Mordawa S. Structure and spatial typology of crime in Poland – an example of the use of validation of the number of clusters in the k-medium method. Acta Universitatis Lodziensis. Folia Geographica Socio‑Economica. 2012;12.
- Haynes EN, Chen A, Ryan P, Succop P, Wright J, Dietrich KN. Exposure to airbome metals and particulate matter and risk for youth adjudicated for criminal activity. Environ Res. 2011;111(8);1243–1248.
- Changsoo K, Jung SH, Kang DR, Kim HC, Moon KT, Hur NW, Shin DC, Suh I. Ambient Particulate Matter as a Risk Factor for Suicide. Am J Psychiatry. 2010;167;1100–1107.
- Allen JL, Conrad K, Oberdorster G, Johnston CJ, Sleezer B, Cory‑Slechta DA. Developmental exposure to concentration ambient particles and preferences for immediate reward in mice. Environmental Health Perspectives. 2013;121(1);32–38.
- Sass V, Kravitz‑Wirtz N, Karceski SM, Hajat A, Crowder K, Takeuchi D. The effects of air pollution on individual psychological distress. Health & Place. 2017;48:72–79.
- Langiewicz W, Pasiorowska M. Territorial differentiation of involuntary commitment and direct coercion in psychiatric facilities in the year 2006. Progress in Psychiatry and Neurology. 2009;18(1):51–58.