Introduction. Posturograph tests are used to assess the vestibular reflex, which can be helpful for specialists who analyze body balance disorders. Despite many studies on the stability of body posture in pediatric patients, there is still a lack of reliable analysis.
Aim. Performing a review of the literature to verify the relationship between balance and body posture as well as stomatognathic system as a part of motor system and the craniofacial complex using a posturograph.
Material and Methods. A review of the literature has been carried out for the posturographic examination as a diagnostic tool. The following work is for reference only. A review of the Google Schoolar database and PubMed was made. Keywords used in the search are: (children) and (posturography, posture control, balance, temporomandibular joint). The authors took into account reports published in Polish and English. For the purposes of this review, strict criteria for the inclusion and exclusion of research work have been created.
Results. The authors analyzed 335 research papers, of which 5 articles were qualified after the analysis. Studies show that there is a relationship between posturographic examination and postural disorders in children. However, the results are not conclusive and further research is necessary before these results can be considered as fully generalized.
Summary. It is necessary to standardize the research using a posturograph. There is a need for further research due to the lack of standardized measurements showing norms for individual age groups.
- Ohlendorf D, Mickel C, Filmann N, Wanke EM, Groneberg DA. Standard values of the upper body posture and postural control: a study protocol. Journal of Occupational Medicine and Toxicology. 2016:11:34.
- Verbecque E, Vereeck L, Hallemans A. Postural sway in children: A literature review. Gait Posture. 2016;Sep(49):402–410.
- Rakesh N, Yashoda BK Devi, Patil DJ, Nagi R. Assessment of cervical spine postural disorders in patients with temporomandibular dysfunction: a radiographic evaluation. Oral Radiol. 2014;(30)38–44.
- Rocha CP, Croci CS, Caria PHF. Is there relationship between temporomandibular disorders and head and cervical posture? A systematic review. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation. 2016:875–881.
- Parrinia S, Combaa B, Raveraa G, Rossinib G, Cugliarie G. Postural changes in orthodontic patients treated with clear aligners: A rasterstereographic study. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 2018:44–48.
- Kopczyński P, Sobkowska Ł, Matthews‑Brzozowska T. The role of computerized dynamic posturography in the diagnosis of malocclusion — a literature review. Dental Forum. 2016;1(XLIV).
- Shumway‑Cook A, Woollacott M, Kerns KA, Baldwin M. The effects of two types of cognitive tasks on postural stability in older adults with and without a history of falls. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1997 Jul;52(4):232–40.
- Salkar RG, Radke UM, Deshmukh SP, Radke PM. Relationship between temporomandibular joint disorders and body. International Journal of Dental and Health Sciences. 2015;2(6):1523–1530.
- Galasso M. Posture and dysfunction Skull‑Cervix‑Mandibular. Frontiera ORL. 2016;2:35–41.
- Barozzi S, Socci M, Soi D, Di Berardino F, Fabio G, Forti S, Gasbarre AM, Brambilla D, Cesarani A. Reliability of postural control measures in children and young adolescents. European Archives of Oto‑Rhino‑Laryngology. 2014;271:2069–2077.
- Roggia B, dos Santos Filha VA, Correa B, Rossi AG. Posture and body balance of schoolchildren aged 8 to 12 years with and without oral breathing. CoDas. 2016;28(4):395–402.
- Lara S, Graup S, Balk R, Teixeira LP, Farias AD, Alves GD, Leiria VB. Association between postural balance and anthropometric index in elemtarys choolchildren. Rev Paul Pediatr. 2018 36(1):59–65.
- Mason M, Spolaor F, Guiotto A, De Stefani A, Gracco A, Sawacha Z. Gait and posture analysis in patients with maxillary transverse discrepancy, before and after RPE. International Orthodontics. 2018;16:158–173.
- Leroux E, Leroux S, Maton F, Ravalec X, Sorel O. Influence of dental occlusion on the athletic performance of young elite rowers: a pilot study. Clinics. 2018;73:453.
- Malak R, Gajewska E, Samborski W. A new view on the body posture. Pielęg Pol. 2008;2(28):149–151.