Introduction. The Reflection Index (RIDVP) derived from digital volume pulse (DVP) analysis has proved to be useful in the assessment of endothelium‑dependent vasodilation induced by albuterol. Little is known of the effect of shear‑stress‑induced vasorelaxation on RIDVP.
Material and Methods. Thirty three healthy volunteers (22 females, 11 males, mean age 57 yrs) were recruited. Assessment of endothelium‑dependent vasorelaxation was performed by the analysis of digital volume pulse after albuterol challenge or locally‑induced hyperemia.
Results. he hyperemia‑induced vasodilation led to a significant decrease of RIDVP in comparison with the values obtained at rest (∆RIHyper 69 ± 2 % vs 64 ± 2, p < 0.0001). Similarly albuterol administration resulted in a significant drop in RIDVP (∆RIAlb 71 ± 2 % vs 67 ± 2 %, p < 0.0001). There was no significant difference between ∆RIHyper and ∆RIAlb (5.2 ± 0.8 % vs 4.6 ± 1.0 %, p = 0.61). We observed a significant correlation between the small vessel reaction in response to albuterol or hyperemia (r = 0.52, p = 0.01).
Conclusions. Our study demonstrated that hyperemia‑induced changes in the Reflexion Index derived from the digital volume pulse are similar to those observed after albuterol‑challenge and both are correlated.
- Cai H, Harrison DG. Endothelial dysfunction in cardiovascular diseases: the role of oxidant stress. Circ Res. 2000;87:840–844.
- Bonetti PO, Lerman LO, Lerman A. Endothelial dysfunction: a marker of atherosclerotic risk. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2003;23:168–175.
- Gimbrone MA Jr. Vascular endothelium: an integrator of pathophysiologic stimuli in atherosclerosis. Am J Cardiol. 1995;75:67B–70B.
- Anderson TJ, Gerhard MD, Meredith IT, Charbonneau F, Delagrange D, Creager MA, Selwyn AP, Ganz P. Systemic nature of endothelial dysfunction in atherosclerosis. Am J Cardiol. 1995;75:71B–74B.
- Verma S, Buchanan MR, Anderson TJ. Endothelial function testing as a biomarker of vascular disease. Circulation. 2003;108:2054–2059.
- Laurent S, Lacolley P, Brunel P, Laloux B, Pannier B, Safar M. Flow‑dependent vasodilation of brachial artery in essential hypertension. Am J Physiol 990;258:H1004–11.
- Concetta I, Ceravolo R, Notarangelo L, Crescenzo A, Ventura G, Tamburrini O, Perticone F, Gnasso A Comparison of endothelial function evaluated by strain gauge plethysmography and brachial artery ultrasound Atherosclerosis 2001:158;53–59.
- Millasseau SC, Kelly RP, Ritter JM, CHowienczyk PJ. Determination of age‑related increases in large artery stiffness by digital pulse contour analysis Clinical Science 2002:103, 371–377.
- Millasseau SC, Kelly RP, Ritter JM, Chowienczyk PJ. The vascular impact of aging and vasoactive drugs: comparison of two digital volume pulse measurements. Am J Hypert. 2003;16:467–472.
- Chowienczyk PJ, Kelly RP, MacCallum H, Millasseau SC, Andersson TLG, Gosling RG, Ritter JM, Anggård EE.Photoplethysmographic assessment of pulse wave reflection: blunted endothelium‑dependent response to beta2 adrenergic vasodilation in type II diabetes. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999;34:2007–2014.
- Corretti MC, Anderson TJ, Benjamin EJ, Celermajer D, Charbonneau F, Creager MA, Deanfield J, Drexler H, Gerhard‑Herman M, Herrington D, Vallance P, Vita J, Vogel R. Guidelines for the ultrasound assessment of endothelial‑dependent flow‑mediated vasodilation of the brachial artery: a report of the International Brachial Artery Reactivity Task Force. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002;39:257–265.
- Vallance P, Chan N. Endothelial function and nitric oxide: clinical relevance. Heart. 2001;85:342–350.
- Ganz P, Vita JA. Testing endothelial vasomotor function: nitric oxide, a multipotent molecule. Circulation. 2003;108:2049–2053.
- Widlansky ME, Gokce N, Keaney JF Jr, Vita JA. The clinical implications of endothelial dysfunction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003;42:1149–1160.
- Ludmer PL, Selwyn AP, Shook TL, Wayne RR, Mudge GH, Alexander RW, Ganz P. Paradoxical vasoconstriction induced by acetylcholine in atherosclerotic coronary arteries. N Engl J Med. 1986;315:1046–1051.
- Schachinger V, Britten MB, Zeiher AM. Prognostic impact of coronary vasodilator dysfunction on adverse long‑term outcome of coronary heart disease. Circulation. 2000;101:1899–1906.
- Suwaidi JA, Hamasaki S, Higano ST, Nishimura RA, Holmes DR Jr, Lerman A. Long‑term follow‑up of patients with mild coronary artery disease and endothelial dysfunction. Circulation. 2000;101:948–954.
- Targonski PV, Bonetti PO, Pumper GM, Higano ST, Holmes DR Jr, Lerman A. Coronary endothelial dysfunction is associated with an increased risk of cerebrovascular events. Circulation. 2003;107:2805–2809.
- Kalra L, Rambaran C, Chowienczyk PJ, Goss D, Hambleton I, Ritter J, Shah A, Wilks R, Forrester T. Ethnic differences in arterial responses and inflammatory markers in afro‑caribbean and caucasian subjects. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005 Nov;25(11):2362-7.