The project entitled “Study of serum metabolic profiles of patients with non-small cell lung cancer with special emphasis on the smoking status of patients” is a study based on metabolomics, which is the latest of the “omics” technologies and involves a comprehensive analysis of small molecule metabolites of a specific biological sample. High-throughput and sensitive analytical techniques used in metabolomic investigations are powerful tools in the field of oncology and aids understanding what is happening in cancer cells and searching for new cancer markers. The aim of the project is to determine whether lung cancer patients have a distinct serum metabolic profile and whether this profile is associated with patients’ smoking status. The application of liquid chromatography-high-resolution mass spectrometry-based methodology along with advanced statistical methods will enable to select potential molecules that can be useful in early lung cancer detection.
- Subramaniam S, Thakur RK, Yadav VK, Nanda R, Chowdhury S, Agrawal A. Lung cancer biomarkers: State of the art. J Carcinog. 2013 Feb;12:3.
- Siegel RL, Miller KD, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2018. CA Cancer J Clin. 2018 Jan;68(1):7–30.
- Musharraf SG, Mazhar S, Choudhary MI, Rizi N, Atta‑ur‑Rahman. Plasma metabolite profiling and chemometric analyses of lung cancer along with three controls through gas chromatography‑mass spectrometry. Sci Rep. 2015 Feb;5:8607.
- Pamungkas AD, Park C, Lee S, Jee SH, Park YH. High resolution metabolomics to discriminate compounds in serum of male lung cancer patients in South Korea. Respir Res. 2016 Aug;17(1):100.
- Klupczynska A, Dereziński P, Dyszkiewicz W, Pawlak K, Kasprzyk M, Kokot ZJ. Evaluation of serum amino acid profiles’ utility in non‑small cell lung cancer detection in Polish population. Lung Cancer. 2016 Oct;100:71–76.
- Klupczynska A, Plewa S, Dyszkiewicz W, Kasprzyk M, Sytek N, Kokot ZJ. Determination of low‑molecular‑weight organic acids in non‑small cell lung cancer with a new liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry method. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2016 Sep;129:299–309.
- Klupczynska A, Dereziński P, Garrett TJ, Rubio VY, Dyszkiewicz W, Kasprzyk M, et al. Study of early stage non‑small‑cell lung cancer using Orbitrap‑based global serum metabolomics. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2017 Apr;143(4):649–659.
- Klupczynska A, Derezinski P, Kokot ZJ. Metabolomics in medical sciences — Trends, challenges and perspectives. Acta Pol Pharm. 2015 Jul‑Aug;72(4):629–41.
- Bu Q, Huang Y, Yan G, Cen X, Zhao YL. Metabolomics: a revolution for novel cancer marker identification. Comb Chem High Throughput Screen. 2012 Mar;15(3):266–75.
- Armitage EG, Barbas C. Metabolomics in cancer biomarker discovery: Current trends and future perspectives. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2014 Jan;87:1–11.
- Naz S, Kolmert J, Yang M, Reinke SN, Kamleh MA, Snowden S, et al. Metabolomics analysis identifies sex‑associated metabotypes of oxidative stress and the autotaxin‑lysoPA axis in COPD. Eur Respir J. 2017 Jun;49(6).
- Reinke SN, Gallart‑Ayala H, Gómez C, Checa A, Fauland A, Naz S, et al. Metabolomics analysis identifies different metabotypes of asthma severity. Eur Respir J. 2017 Mar;49(3).
- Wheelock CE, Goss VM, Balgoma D, Nicholas B, Brandsma J, Skipp PJ, et al. Application of ’omics technologies to biomarker discovery in inflammatory lung diseases. Eur Respir J. 2013 Sep;42(3):802–25.
- Chong J, Soufan O, Li C, Caraus I, Li S, Bourque G, et al. MetaboAnalyst 4.0: Towards more transparent and integrative metabolomics analysis. Nucleic Acids Res. 2018 Jul;46(W1):W486-W494.