Aim. There is a growing awareness in Polish society, that a healthy lifestyle and proper nutrition have positively affected in old age. This effect influences the increasing consumption of dietary supplements to improve the health, however sometimes in an uncontrolled way. Taking above together the aim of this preliminary study was to assess the prevalence of the use of dietary supplements in elderly women.
Material and Methods. The study was conducted on 95 elderly women aged 65 to 89 years. The participants were asked to complete a questionnaire about their physical activity as well as medicines and supplements intake.
Results. Based on the questionnaire, it can be concluded that supplementation was common among the tested group. The most frequently seniors used preparations to assist the circulatory system and diet supplements. They also took this, supporting the work of the intestine, to assist urinary tract and the work of heart. The decision to start of supplementation was most often taken under the influence of television advertisements, pharmacy worker as well as from friends. There were statistically differences in presented results between studying populations according to their age.
Conclusions. Important and essential is education of older people, concerning the appropriate use of dietary supplements, to make supplementation safe and distinct improvement in health.
- Brzozowska A. Enriching food and supplementing the diet with nutrients — benefits and risk. Żywność 2001;4(29):16–28.
- Saran A, Duda G. The influence of selected factors for the purches and use of vitamin and mineral supplements by the elderly. Żywność. Nauka. Technologia. Jakość. 2009;4(65):271–277.
- Cameron DI, Kurrle SE, Uy C, Lockwood KA, Au L, Schaasfsma FG. Effectiveness of oral nutritional supplementation for older women after a fracture: rationale, design and study of the feasibility of a randomized controlled study. BMC Geriatrics. 2011;11:32–37.
- Wojciak RW, Mojs E, Staniek H, Marcinek K, Krol E, Suliburska J, Krejpcio Z. Depression in seniors vs. their nutritional status and nutritional knowledge. J Med Sci. 2016;85(2):83–88.
- Shibata A, Paganini‑Hill A, Ross RK, Henderson BE. Intake of vegetables, fruits, beta‑carotene, vitamin C and vitamin supplements and cancer incidence among the elderly: a prospective study. Br J Cancer. 1992;66:673–679.
- Kałuża J, Bagan A, Brzozowska A. The evaluation of the share of vitamins and minerals from supplements in the diet of older people. Roczn PZH. 2004;55(1): 51–61.
- Sygnowska E, Waśkiewicz A. The role of supplementation in replenishing the deficiencies of vitamins and minerals in the diet of Poles covered by WOBASZ. Bromat Chem Toksykol. 2008;41(3):389–394.
- Blumberg JB, Frei B, Fulgoni VL, Weaver CM, Zesel SH. Contribution of dietary supplements to nutritional adequacy in various adult age groups. Nutrients. 2017;9:1325–1334.
- Bogusz R, Charzyńska‑Gula M, Szkuat M, Kocka K. Functional fitness of people over 70 years of age in rural areas and needs for care. MONZ. 2013,19(4):517–522.
- Burnett AJ, Livingstone KM, Woods JL, McNaughton S. Dietary supplement use among Australian adults: findings from the 2011–2012 National Nutrition and Physical Activity Survey. Nutrients. 2017;9:1248–1259.
- Locquet M, Honvo G, Rabenda V, van Hees T, Petermans J, Reginster JY, Bruyere O. Adverse health events related to self‑medication practices among elderly: a systematic review. Drugs Ageing. 2017;34(5):359–365.
- Kim J, Lee JS, Shin A, Kang MH, Shin DS, Chung HR, Kim WK. Sociodemographic and lifestyle factors are associated with the use of dietary supplements in a Korean population. J Epidemiol. 2010;20(3):197–203.
- Marona H, Gunia A, Pękala E. Retinoids — a role in pharmacotherapy in the aspect of the cellular mechanism of action. Farmacja Polska. 2010;66(3):187–192.
- Saran A, Duda G. The assessment of knowledge of older people regarding vitamins and minerals. Brom Chem Toksykol. 2010;43(1):60–65.
- Kaczmarczyk M, Trafiałek E. Activation of older people as a chance for successful aging. Gerontologia Polska. 2007;15(4):116–118.
- Brończyk‑Puzoń A, Bieniek J. Nutrition of the elderly on the basis of an amendment to the nutrition standards of the Institute of Food and Nutrition for the Polish population from 2012. Nowa Medycyna. 2013;4:151–255.
- Park HA. Top 10 dietary supplements of Korean adults from the 4th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Korean J Farm Med. 2011;32:263–266.
- Ulatowska‑Szostak E. The impact of advertising on the purchase of drugs, parapharmaceuticals and vitamin preparations in the opinions of pharmacy customers — comparison of 2002 and 2007. Probl Hig Epidemiol. 2008;89(3):441–444.