AbstractSchwannomas in the presacral region of vertebral column occur sporadically and are usually diagnosed incidentally during diagnostic procedures applied as a response to nonspecific complaints associated with vertebral column or abdominal cavity. This study focuses not only on the presentation of the case of the patient with giant schwannoma in the retrorectal area, but on the highlighting of the problems associated with diagnosis and treatment of tumours located in this anatomic region as well. The presented case involves a 23-year old woman. The diagnosis of the disease was made during gynecological examination accompanied by ultrasonography of pelvic organs. Neurological examination disclosed no deviations from the normal condition. MR imaging allowed to determine precise location of the tumour and its anatomic relations to pelvic visceral and vascular structures. The patient underwent a successful surgery using laparotomy. Histological examination revealed structures of schwannoma. Surgical radicality and the lack of relapse were confirmed by MR imaging taken five years after the surgery.
Download data is not yet available.
- Feldenzer JA, Mc Gauley JL, Mc Gillicuddy JE. Sacral and presacral tumors: problems in diagnosis and management. Neurosurg. 1989;25:884–891.
- Abernathey CD, Onofrio BM, Scheithauer B. Pairolero PC, Shives TC. Surgical management of giant sacral schwannomas. J Neurosurg. 1986;65:286–295.
- Lev-Chelouche D, Gutman M, Goldman G.Even-Sapir E, Meller I, Issakov J,Presacral tumors: A practical classification and treatment of unique and heterogenous group of diseases. Surgery 2003;133:473–478.
- Hughes MJ, Thomas JM, Fisher C, Moskovic EC, Imaging features of retroperitoneal and pelvic schwannomas Clin Radiol. 2005 60, 886–93.
- Li Q, Gao C, Juzi JT,HAO X, Analysis of 82 cases of retroperitoneal schwannoma. ANZ J Surg. 2007;77:237– 240.
- Klimo P, Rao G, Schmidt R, Schmidt MH, Nerve sheath tumours involving the sacrum. Case report and clasification scheme. Neurosurg Focus 2003;15:1–6.
- Strauss DC, Qureshi YA, Hayes AJ, Thomas M. Management of benign retroperitoneal schwannomas: a single-center experience. Am J Surg. 2011;202:194–198.
- . Van Roggen JF, Hogendoorn PC. Soft tissue tumours of the retroperitoneum. Sarcoma 2000;4:17–26.
- Aran T, Guven S, Gocer S, Ersoz S, Bozkaya H, Large retroperitoneal schwannoma mimicking ovarian carcinoma: case report and literature review. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2009;30:446–448.
- Sharma SK, Koleski FC, Husain AN, Albala DM, Turkt TM, Retroperitoneal schwannoma mimicking an adrenal lesion. World J Urol. 2002;20:232–233.
- Liu YW, Chiu HH, Huang CC,TU CA, Retroperitoneal schwannoma mimicking a psoas abscess. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007;5:A32.
- Chiang ER, Chang MC, Chen TH. Giant retroperitoneal schwannoma from the fifth lumbar nerve root with vertebral body osteolysis: a case report and literature review. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2009;129:495–499.
- Takatera H, Takiuchi H, Namiki M,mTakaha M, Ohnishi S, Sonoda T. Retroperitoneal schwannoma. Urology 1986;28:529 –231.
- Hoaraua N, Slimb K, Da Inesa D. CT and MR imaging of retroperitoneal schwannoma. Diagnostic and Interventional Imaging 2013;94:1133–1139.
- Hoeber I, Spillane AJ, Fisher C, Thomas JM, Accuracy of biopsy techniques for limb and limb girdle soft tissue tumours. Ann Surg Oncol. 2001;8:80–87.
- Asakage N. Laparoscopic resection of a retroperitoneal schwannoma. Asian J Endosc Surg 2012;5:25–30.
- Konstantinidis K, Theodoropoulos GE, Sambalis G, Georgiou M, Vorias M, Laparoscopic resection of presacral schwannomas. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2005;15:302–304.
- Pongsthorn C, Ozawa H, Aizawa T,Kuskabe T, Nakamura T, Itoi E,Giant sacral schwannoma: a report of six cases. Ups J Med Sci. 2010;115:146–152.
- Rao W, Wang G, Xiu D. Laparoscopic resection of a retroperitoneal schwannoma adherent to vital vessels. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2009;19, E 21–23.
- Yoshino T, Yoneda K. Laparoscopic resection of a retroperitoneal ancient schwannoma: a case report and review of the literature. Anticancer Res. 2008;28:2889 –2891.
- Isler MH, Fogaca MF, Mankin HJ. Radiation induced malignant schwannoma arising in a neurofibroma. Clin Orthop. 1996;325:251–256.
- Kotoura Y, Shikata J, Yammamuro T, Kasahara K, Ivasaki R, Nakashima Y, et al. Radiation therapy for giant intrasacral schwannoma. Spine 1991;16:239–242.
- Gertszten PC, Ozhasoglu C, Burton SA, Kalnicki S, Welch WC, Feasibility of frameless single fraction stereotactic radiosurgery for spinal lesions. Neurosurg Focus 2002;13, Article 2.