Cancers still constitute an important health burden, due to their high incidence and mortality. The discovery and clinical implementation of novel sensitive diagnostic markers could improve treatment outcomes. Circulating cell-free DNA (ccfDNA) offers great promise for the development of new molecular biomarkers. However, the analysis of ccfDNA methylation poses significant challenges due to ccfDNA fragmentation and low concentration in the blood. Techniques which have recently been developed for liquid biopsy studies have been adapted to the detection of trace amounts of ccfDNA. This mini-review focuses on recent technological advances which allow the discovery of new sensitive and specific liquid biopsy cancer biomarkers based on DNA methylation detection.
- Worldwide cancer statistics [Internet]. Cancer Research UK. 2019 [cited 2019 Jul 15]. Available from: https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/worldwide-cancer.
- De Rubis G, Krishnan SR, Bebawy M. Circulating tumor DNA - Current state of play and future perspectives. Pharmacol Res. 2018;136:35–44.
- Bronkhorst AJ, Ungerer V, Holdenrieder S. The emerging role of cell-free DNA as a molecular marker for cancer management. Biomol Detect Quantif. 2019 Mar 1;17:100087.
- Wang J, Han X, Sun Y. DNA methylation signatures in circulating cell-free DNA as biomarkers for the early detection of cancer. Sci China Life Sci. 2017 Apr;60(4):356–62.
- Vlassov VV, Laktionov PP, Rykova EY. Circulating nucleic acids as a potential source for cancer biomarkers. Curr Mol Med. 2010 Mar;10(2):142–65.
- Gai W, Sun K. Epigenetic Biomarkers in Cell-Free DNA and Applications in Liquid Biopsy. Genes. 2019 Jan;10(1):32.
- Elazezy M, Joosse SA. Techniques of using circulating tumor DNA as a liquid biopsy component in cancer management. Comput Struct Biotechnol J. 2018 Oct 9;16:370–8.
- Zeng H, He B, Yi C, Peng J. Liquid biopsies: DNA methylation analyses in circulating cell-free DNA. J Genet Genomics. 2018 Apr 20;45(4):185–92.
- Song L, Jia J, Peng X, Xiao W, Li Y. The performance of the SEPT9 gene methylation assay and a comparison with other CRC screening tests: A meta-analysis. Sci Rep. 2017 Jun 8;7(1):1–12.
- Guzzetta AA, Pisanic TR, Sharma P, Yi JM, Stark A, Wang T-H, et al. The promise of methylation on beads for cancer detection and treatment. Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2014 Sep;14(7):845–52.
- Olkhov-Mitsel E, Zdravic D, Kron K, van der Kwast T, Fleshner N, Bapat B. Novel multiplex MethyLight protocol for detection of DNA methylation in patient tissues and bodily fluids. Sci Rep. 2014 Mar 21;4:4432.
- Fackler MJ, Bujanda ZL, Umbricht C, Teo WW, Cho S, Zhang Z, et al. Novel Methylated Biomarkers and a Robust Assay to Detect Circulating Tumor DNA in Metastatic Breast Cancer. Cancer Res. 2014 Apr 15;74(8):2160–70.
- Han X, Wang J, Sun Y. Circulating Tumor DNA as Biomarkers for Cancer Detection. Genomics Proteomics Bioinformatics. 2017 Apr 1;15(2):59–72.
- Volik S, Alcaide M, Morin RD, Collins C. Cell-free DNA (cfDNA): Clinical Significance and Utility in Cancer Shaped By Emerging Technologies. Mol Cancer Res. 2016 Oct 1;14(10):898–908.
- Wen L, Li J, Guo H, Liu X, Zheng S, Zhang D, et al. Genome-scale detection of hypermethylated CpG islands in circulating cell-free DNA of hepatocellular carcinoma patients. Cell Res. 2015 Nov;25(11):1250–64.
- Trigg RM, Martinson LJ, Parpart-Li S, Shaw JA. Factors that influence quality and yield of circulating-free DNA: A systematic review of the methodology literature. Heliyon. 2018 Jul 1;4(7):e00699.
- Morrison C. Search for liquid biopsy grail points the way to drug discovery and development gems. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2017 Jun;16(6):373–4.
- Uehiro N, Sato F, Pu F, Tanaka S, Kawashima M, Kawaguchi K, et al. Circulating cell-free DNA-based epigenetic assay can detect early breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res BCR. 2016 19;18(1):129.
- Nunes SP, Moreira-Barbosa C, Salta S, Palma de Sousa S, Pousa I, Oliveira J, et al. Cell-Free DNA Methylation of Selected Genes Allows for Early Detection of the Major Cancers in Women. Cancers. 2018 Oct;10(10):357.
- Fackler MJ, Sukumar S. Quantitation of DNA Methylation by Quantitative Multiplex Methylation-Specific PCR (QM-MSP) Assay. Methods Mol Biol Clifton NJ. 2018;1708:473–96.
- Schröck A, Leisse A, Vos L de, Gevensleben H, Dröge F, Franzen A, et al. Free-Circulating Methylated DNA in Blood for Diagnosis, Staging, Prognosis, and Monitoring of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Patients: An Observational Prospective Cohort Study. Clin Chem. 2017 Jul 1;63(7):1288–96.
- Hulbert A, Jusue-Torres I, Stark A, Chen C, Rodgers K, Lee B, et al. Early Detection of Lung Cancer using DNA Promoter Hypermethylation in Plasma and Sputum. Clin Cancer Res Off J Am Assoc Cancer Res. 2017 Apr 15;23(8):1998–2005.
- de Vos L, Gevensleben H, Schröck A, Franzen A, Kristiansen G, Bootz F, et al. Comparison of quantification algorithms for circulating cell-free DNA methylation biomarkers in blood plasma from cancer patients. Clin Epigenetics. 2017 Dec 1;9(1):125.
- Barault L, Amatu A, Bleeker FE, Moutinho C, Falcomatà C, Fiano V, et al. Digital PCR quantification of MGMT methylation refines prediction of clinical benefit from alkylating agents in glioblastoma and metastatic colorectal cancer. Ann Oncol. 2015 Sep 1;26(9):1994–9.
- Amatu A, Schirripa M, Tosi F, Lonardi S, Bencardino K, Bonazzina E, et al. High Circulating Methylated DNA Is a Negative Predictive and Prognostic Marker in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer Patients Treated With Regorafenib. Front Oncol. 2019;9:622.
- Liang W, Zhao Y, Huang W, Gao Y, Xu W, Tao J, et al. Non-invasive diagnosis of early-stage lung cancer using high-throughput targeted DNA methylation sequencing of circulating tumor DNA (ctDNA). Theranostics. 2019 Apr 6;9(7):2056–70.
- Xu R, Wei W, Krawczyk M, Wang W, Luo H, Flagg K, et al. Circulating tumour DNA methylation markers for diagnosis and prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma. Nat Mater. 2017 Nov;16(11):1155–61.
- Shen SY, Singhania R, Fehringer G, Chakravarthy A, Roehrl MHA, Chadwick D, et al. Sensitive tumour detection and classification using plasma cell-free DNA methylomes. Nature. 2018 Nov;563(7732):579–83.