AbstractAim. The subject of this study is evaluation of histological hallmarks of kidney growth in rats after a surgery and subsequent management of the wound with fibrin glue.
Material and Methods. Sixty-five Wistar rats underwent a surgical procedure resulting in parenchymal injury by incision followed by an application of fibrin glue. Kidneys have been examined and evaluated histologically after 4 weeks (group I) and 26 weeks (group II) after the surgery
Results. When fibrin glue was used, in both groups, regular anastomoses of the wound edges of the kidney after surgery were noted. Histological features of kidney growth (renal glomeruli, renal tubules and blood vessels) were observed in the parenchyma and in the postoperative scar. In the second group kidneys grew on average by 3.5mm in the longitudinal section and by 1.89 in the cross section. In this group, the number of renal glomeruli nearly doubled. Glomeruli and tubules were also found in the postoperative scar.
Download data is not yet available.
- Roth H, Daum R. Fibrin sealing of parenchymal organs in pediatric surgery. Fibrin Sealant in Operative Medicine. 1986;6:123–130.
- Rousou JA, Engelman RM, Breyer RH. Fibrin Glue: An Effective Hemostatic Agent for Nonsuturable Intraoperative Bleeding. Ann Thorac Surg. 1984;38:409–410.
- Byrne DJ, Hardy J, Wood RAB, McIntosh R, Cuschieri A. Effect of fibrin glues on the mechanical properties of healing wounds. Br J Surg. 1991;78:841–843.
- Castanon M, Margarit J, Carrasco R, Vancells M, Albert A, Morales L. Long-term follow-up of ninteen cystic lymphangiomas treated with fibrin sealant. J Ped Surg. 1999;34:1276–1279.
- Dickneite G, Metzner HJ, Kroez M, Hein B, Nicolay U. The importance of factor XIII as a component of fibrin sealants. J Surg Res. 2002;107:186–195.
- Hanson AJ, Quinn MT. Effect of fibrin sealant composition on human neutrophil chemotaxis. J Biomed Mat Res. 2002;61:474–481.
- Martinovitz U, Varon D, Jonas P, Bar-Maor A, Brenner B. Circumcision in hemophilia: the use of fibrin glue for local hemostasis. J Urol. 1992;148:855–857.
- Silver FH, Wang MC, Pins GD. Preparation and use of fibrin glue in surgery. Biomaterials. 1995;16:891–903.
- Silverstein JI, Mellinger BC. Fibrin glue vasal anastomosis compared to conventional sutured vasovasostomy in the rat. J Urol. 1991;145:1288–1291.
- Basting RF, Djacovic N, Widmann P. Use of water jet resection in organ-sparing kidney surgery. J Endourol. 2000;14:501–505.
- Cornum RL, Morey AF, Harris R, Gresham V, Daniels R, Knight RW, Beall D, Pusateri A, Holcomb J, Macphee M. Does the absorbable fibrin adhesive bandage facilitate partial nephrectomy? J Urol. 2000;164: 864–867.
- Zagrooshi J. Open stone surgery in children: is it justified in the era of minimally invasive therapies? BJU-Int. 2001;88:928–931.
- Farouk A, Tawfick A, Kotb M, Abdellmaksoud A, Safaan A, Yassin M, Shaker H. Use of fibrin glue as a sealant at the anastomotic line in laparoscopic pyeloplasty: a randomised controlled trial. Arab J Urol. 2016;14:292–298.
- Johnston WK, Montgomery JS, Seifman BD, Hollenbeck BK, Wolf JS Jr. Fibrin glue v sutured bolster: lessons learned during 100 laparoscopic partial nephrectomies. J Urol. 2005;174:47–52.
- Wang PF, Chiu AW, Lin YM, Lin CY, Shih HJ. Effect of fibrin sealant aided with Dexon mesh for renal repair in a rat model of partial nephrectomy. Int J Surg. 2014;12:304–309.