AbstractAn ovarian endometrioma is a very common form of endometriosis in women of reproductive age. This review presents the current state of research on ovarian reserve in women with ovarian endometriomas. Endometrioma can negatively affect ovarian markers: the anti-Müllerian hormone (AMH), antral follicle count (AFC) and in vitro fertilisation (IVF) results. Decisions on the surgical treatment of endometrial cysts should be carefully thought through, especially in women who have not given birth.
Download data is not yet available.
- Redwine DB. Ovarian endometriosis: a marker for more extensive pelvic and intestinal disease. Fertil Steril. 1999;72:310–315.
- Jenkins S, Olive DL, Haney AF. Endometriosis: pathogenetic implications of the anatomic distribution. Obstet Gynecol. 1986;67:335–338.
- Vercellini P, Frontino G, De Giorgi O, Aimi G, Zaina B, Crosignani PG. Comparison of a levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine device versus expectant management after conservative surgery for symptomatic endometriosis: a pilot study. Fertil Steril. 2003;80:305–309.
- Garcia-Velasco JA, Arici A. Is the endometrium or oocyte/embryo affected in endometriosis? Hum Reprod. 1999 Dec;14(Suppl. 2):77–89.
- Garrido N, Navarro J, García-Velasco J, Remoh J, Pellice A, Simón C.The endometrium versus embryonic quality in endometriosis-related infertility. Hum Reprod Update. 2002;Jan-Feb;8(1):95–103.
- Sanchez AM, Vigano P, Somigliana E, Panina-Bordignon P, Vercellini P, Candiani M. The distinguishing cellular and molecular features of the endometriotic ovarian cyst: from pathophysiology to the potential endometrioma-mediated damage to the ovary. Hum Reprod Update. 2013;20(2):217–230.
- Benaglia L, Somigliana E, Vercellini P, Abbiati A, Ragni G, Fedele L. Endometriotic ovarian cysts negatively affect the rate of spontaneous ovulation. Hum Reprod. 2009 Sep;24(9):2183–6.
- Hughesdon PE. The structure of endometrial cyst of the ovary. J Obstet Gynaecol Br Emp. 1957 Aug;64(4):481–7.
- Hachisuga T, Kawarabayashi T. Histopathological analysis of laparoscopically treated ovarian endometriotic cysts with special reference to loss of follicles. Hum Reprod. 2002;17:432–435.
- Hwu YM, Wu FS, Li SH, Sun FJ, Lin MH, Lee RK. The impact of endometrioma and laparoscopic cystectomy on serum anti-Müllerian hormone levels. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2011 Jun 9;9:80.
- Goodman LR, Goldberg JM, Flyckt RL, Gupta M, Harwalker J, Falcone T. Effect of surgery on ovarian reserve in women with endometriomas, endometriosis and controls. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016 Nov;215(5):589.e1–589.e6.
- Ding Y, Yuan Y, Ding J, Chen Y, Zhang X, Hua K. Comprehensive Assessment of the impact of laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy on ovarian reserve. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2015;22(7):1252–9.
- La Marca A, Sunkara SK. Individualization of controlled ovarian stimulation in IVF using ovarian reserve markers: From theory to practice. Hum Reprod Update. 2013;20(1):124–40.
- Iwase A, Hirokawa W, Goto M, Takikawa S, Nagatomo Y, Nakahara T, Manabe S, Kikkawa F.Serum anti-Müllerian hormone level is a useful marker for evaluating the impact of laparoscopic cystectomy on ovarian reserve.Fertil Steril. 2010Dec;94(7):2846–9.
- Horikawa T, Nakagawa K, Ohgi S, Kojima R, Nakashima A, Ito M, Takahashi Y, Saito H. The frequency of ovulation from the affected ovary decreases following laparoscopic cystectomy in infertile women with unilateral endometrioma during a natural cycle. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2008;25:239–244.
- Somigliana E, Infantino M, Benedetti F, Arnoldi M, Calanna G, Ragni G. The presence of ovarian endometriomas is associated with a reduced responsiveness to gonadotropins. Fertil Steril. 2006 Jul;86(1):192–6.
- Benaglia L, Bermejo A, Somigliana E, Faulisi S, Ragni G, Fedele L, Garcia-Velasco JA. In vitro fertilization outcome in women with unoperated bilateral endometriomas. Fertil Steril. 2013 May;99(6):1714–9.
- Hamdan M, Dunselman G, Li TC, Cheong Y. The impact of endometrioma on IVF/ICSI outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hum Reprod Update. 2015 Nov-Dec;21(6):809–25.
- Carvahlo L, nataraj N, Rao J, Khetarpal S, Abrao SM, Agarwal A. Seven ways to preserve female fertility in patients with endometriosis. Expert Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2012;7930:227–240.