AbstractIntroduction. According to WHO, increase in usage of generic drugs may be one of the ways to reduce costs of healthcare systems around the world. However, according to scientific data, physicians and pharmacists doubt in their effectiveness – the reason for that is not well known. Due to this fact an evidence of factors affecting their opinion is being searched for.
Aim. The aim of this study was to assess whether correlation exist between the age of pharmacist and the way information about generic drugs is provided.
Material and Methods. This was a questionnaire-based study. Especially prepared questionnaire was made available to pharmacists of Lodzkie province. Survey was conducted in Lodz (81.8%) and other towns of lodzkie province.
Results. One hundred and forty eight pharmacists working in Lodzkie province have answered the questionnaire (84.5% women and 13.5% men, aged 23–59, working mainly in private pharmacies – 89.1%). Most of pharmacists (47; 31.8%) younger than 35 years provided information about generic drugs, after being asked about it. Most of pharmacists older than 35 years had given information before patients asked them about it. Correlation analysis revealed that strong statistically significant correlation between pharmacist’s age and the moment when he provides an information about generic drugs exist (P < 0.05).
Conclusions. Age of pharmacists affect their commitment to provide information about generic drugs for pharmacy clients.
Download data is not yet available.
- Lewek P, Kardas P. Generic drugs: the benefits and risks of making the switch. J Fam Pract. 2010 Nov;59(11):634–40.
- [Internet] WHO World Health Report 2010. Health systems financing: the path to universal coverage. Available from: http://www.who.int/whr/2010/en/index.html [cited 08.01.2017].
- [Internet] Bioavailability and bioequivalence requirements. FDA Code of Federal Regulations. 21.CFR320.33. Available from: http://www.fda.gov [cited 08.01.2017].
- Meyer MC. Generic drug product equivalence: Current status. Am J Manag Care. 1998;4:1183–1189.
- Borgherini G. The Bioequivalence and Therapeutic Efficacy of Generic Versus Brand-Name Psychoactive Drugs. Clin Ther. 2003;6(25).
- Hennessey JV, Malabanan AO, Haugen BR, Levy EG. Adverse Event Reporting in Patients Treated with Levothyroxine: Results of the Pharmacovigilance Task Force Survey of the American Thyroid Association, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and The Endocrine Society. Endocr Pract. 2010 Feb 11:1–41.
- Henderson JD, Esham RH. Generic substitution: issues for problematic drugs. South Med J. 2001 Jan;94(1):16–21.
- Kesselheim AS, Misono AS, Lee JL, Stedman MR, Brookhart MA, Choudhry NK, Shrank WH. Clinical equivalence of generic and brand-name drugs used in cardiovascular disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA. 2008 Dec 3;300(21):2514–26.
- [Internet] The Pharmaeutical Industry in Figures. Key data. European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations. 2013. Available from: http://www.efpia.eu/uploads/Figures_Key_Data_2013.pdf [cited 08.01.2017].
- Lewek P, Kardas P. Polish doctors’, pharmacists’ and patients’ opinions about generic drugs – results of a survey. J Health Policy, Insurance and Management. Polityka Zdrowotna. 2011 May;VIII/I:145–152.
- Kesselheim AS, Misono AS, Lee JL et al. Clinical equivalence of generic and brand-name drugs used in cardiovascular disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA. 2008 Dec 3;300(21):2514–26.
- Lewek P, Śmigielski J, Kardas P. Wpływ wiedzy aptekarza na temat leków generycznych, na jego opinię o skuteczności tych leków – badanie ankietowe. Fam. Med. Prim Care Rev. 2014;16(2):124–126.
- Lewek P, Śmigielski J, Kardas P. Wpływ postrzegania polskich firm farmaceutycznych przez lekarzy POZ województwa łódzkiego na ich opinie o lekach generycznych – badanie ankietowe. Fam Med. Prim Care Rev. 2013;15(3):346–348.
- Lewek P, Śmigielski J, Kardas P. Czy poglądy aptekarzy sprzyjają substytucji generycznej – badanie ankietowe w województwie łódzkim. Nowiny Lek. 2013;82(4):329–334.
- Act of May 12th, 2011 on drugs, foods for particular nutritional use and medical products reimbursement [Art.44 Ustawy z dn. 12 maja 2011 r. o refundacji leków, środków spożywczych specjalnego przeznaczenia żywieniowego oraz wyrobów medycznych. Dz.U. 2011 Nr 122 poz. 696].
- Drozdowska A, Hermanowski T. Exploring factors underlying the attitude of community pharmacists to generic substitution: a nationwide study from Poland. Int J Clin Pharm. 2016 Feb;38(1):162–70.
- Quintal C, Mendes P. Underuse of generic medicines in Portugal: an empirical study on the perceptions and attitudes of patients and pharmacists. Health Policy. 2012 Jan;104(1):61–8.
- Patel M, Slack M, Cooley J, Bhattacharjee S. A cross-sectional survey of pharmacists to understand their personal preference of brand and generic over-the-counter medications used to treat common health conditions. J Pharm Policy Pract. 2016 Apr 21;9:17.
- Mehralian G, Noee F, Yousefi N, Peiravian F. Community Pharmacist Perceptions of Generic Medicines: A Survey in Tehran. Value Health. 2014 Nov;17(7):A425.
- Auta A, Bala ET, Shalkur D. Generic medicine substitution: a cross-sectional survey of the perception of pharmacists in North-Central, Nigeria. Med Princ Pract. 2014;23(1):53–8.
- Chong CP, Hassali MA, Bahari MB, Shafie AA. Evaluating community pharmacists' perceptions of future generic substitution policy implementation: a national survey from Malaysia. Health Policy. 2010 Jan;94(1):68–75.