AbstractAim. Ischemia-modified albumin (IMA) is a marker of myocardial ischemia and may be affected by ischemia occurring in other tissues. Migraine has been reported as a risk factor of ischemic stroke or cardiovascular events. Dysfunction of endothelial cells, as well as association with arteriopathies was evidenced in migraine patients. The aim of this study was to evaluate interictal IMA in migraine patients.
Material and Methods. Fifty migraineurs aged 38 ± 9 years were included in the study. The control group consisted of 25 healthy volunteers aged 37 ± 8 years. In all subjects neurological examination was carried on, as well as clinimetric evaluation with the use of: MIDAS, MIGSEV, QVM, VAS and VRS. Ischemia-modified albumin was evaluated by means of spectrophotometric method with the use of cobalt chloride. The concentrations of total cholesterol, HDL- and LDL-cholesterol, triglycerides, homocysteine, C-reactive protein and Lp(a) were analyzed with routine spectrophotometric methods.
Results. IMA was significantly (P = 0.0108) higher in migraine patients (0.101; 0.00–0.327 O.D.) than in controls (0.00; 0.00–0.102 O.D.; median; interquartile range). Migraineurs with aura have also higher IMA than controls. IMA correlated (rS = 0.383, P = 0.0073) with VAS and with homocysteine concentration (rS = 0.430, P = 0.0026). Multiple regression analysis of IMA and atherosclerosis risk factors showed significant correlation (P = 0.0247) with HDL cholesterol (R = 0.2958) and triglycerides concentrations (R = 0.3285).
Conclusions. IMA formation in migraine patients, as a marker of oxidative stress even during interictal period in patients with hyperhomocysteinemia and/or hypertriacylglyceridemia can reflect a milieu of factors which further increases the risk for cardiovascular complications.
Download data is not yet available.
- Dreier P, Reiffurth C. The stroke-migraine depolarization continuum. Neuron. 2015 May; 86(4):902–922.
- Leao AAP. Spreading depression of activity in cerebral cortex. J Neurophysiol. 1944;7:359–390.
- Hadjikhani N, Sanchez Del Rio M, Wu O, Schwartz D, Bakker D, Fischl B et al. Mechanisms of migraine aura revealed by functional MRI in human visual cortex. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2001 Apr; 98(8):4687–4692.
- Fabricius M, Akgoren N, Lauritzen M. Arginine-nitric oxide pathway and cerebrovascular regulation in cortical spreading depression. Am J Physiol. 1995 Jul; 269(1 Pt 2):H23–H29.
- Pezzini A, Del Zotto E, Giossi A, Volonghi I, Grassi M, Padovani A. The migraine-ischemic stroke connection: potential pathogenic mechanisms. Curr Mol Med. 2009 Mar;9(2):215–226.
- Spector JT, Kahn SR, Jones MR, Jayakumar M, Dalal D, Nazarian S. Migraine headache and ischemic stroke risk: an updated meta-analysis. Am J Med. 2010 Jul;123(7):612–624.
- Hu X, Zhou Y, Zhao H, Peng C. Migraine and the risk of stroke: an updated meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Neurol Sci. 2016 Oct. [Epub ahead of print]
- Winsvold BS, Sandven I, Hagen K, Linde M, Midthjell K, Zwart JA. Migraine, headache and development of metabolic syndrome: an 11-year follow-up in the Nord-Trondelag Health Study (HUNT). Pain. 2013 Aug;154(8):1305–1311.
- NCEP Expert Panel. Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) final report. Circulation. 2002 Dec; 106: 3143–3421.
- Bigal ME, Kurth T, Santanello N, Buse D, Golden W, Robbins M et al. Migraine and cardiovascular disease: a population-based study. Neurology. 2010 Feb 23;74(8):628– 635.
- Lippi G, Montagnana M, Salvagno GL, Guidi GC. Potential value for new diagnostic markers in the early recognition of acute coronary syndromes. CJEM. 2006 Jan;8:27–31.
- Bar-Or D, Winkler J, Van Benthuysen K, Harris L, Lau E, Hetzel FW. Reduced albumin- cobalt binding with transient myocardial ischemia after elective percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty: a preliminary comparison to Creatine kinase- MB, myoglobin and troponin I. Am Heart J. 2001 Jun; 141:985–991.
- Borderie D, Allanore Y, Meune C, Devaux JY, Ekindjian OG, Kahan A. High ischemia-modified albumin concentration reflects oxidative stress but not myocardial involvement in systemic sclerosis. Clin Chem. 2004 Nov;50:2190–2193.
- harma R, Gaze DC, Pellerin D, Mehta RL, Gregson H, Streather CP. Ischemia-modified albumin predicts mortality in ESRD. Am J Kid Dis. 2006 Mar;47:493–502.
- Apple FS, Quist HE, Otto AP, Mathews WE, Murakami MM. Release characteristics of cardiac biomarkers and ischemia-modified albumin as measured by the albumin cobalt-binding test after a marathon race. Clin Chem. 2002 Jul;48:1097–1100.
- El Hasnaoui A, Vray M, Richard A, Nachit-Ouinekh F, Boureau F. MIGSEV Group. Assessing the severity of migraine: development of the MIGSEV scale. Headache. 2003 Jun; 43: 628–635.
- Stewart WF, Lipton RB, Dowson AJ, Sawyer J. Development and testing of the Migraine Disability Assessment (MIDAS) Questionnaire to assess headache-related Disability. Neurology. 2001 Mar;56(Suppl. 1):20–28.
- Richard A, Henry P, Chazot G, Massiou H, Tison S, Marconnet R et al. Qualité de vie et migraine. Validation du questionnaire QVM en consultation hospitaliere et en médecine générale. Therapie. 1993 Mar-Apr;48:89–96.
- Bar-Or D, Lau E, Winkler JV. A novel assay for cobalt-albumin binding and its potential as a marker for myocardial ischemia-a preliminary report. J Emerg Med. 2000 Nov;19(4):311–315.
- Bar-Or D, Curtis G, Rao N, Bampos N, Lau E. An insight into the mechanism of a new assay for myocardial ischemia. Eur J Biochem. 2001 Jan;268(1):42–47.
- Bhagavan NV, Lai EM, Rios PA, Yang J, Ortega-Lopez AM, Shinoda H, et al. Evaluation of Human Serum Albumin Cobalt Binding Assay for the Assessment of Myocardial Ischemia and Myocardial Infarction. Clin Chem. 2003 Apr;49(4):581–585.
- Gunduz A, Mentese A, Turedi S, Karahan SC, Mentese U, Eroglu O et al. Serum ischaemia-modified albumin increases in critical lower limb ischaemia. Emerg Med J. 2008 Jun; 25(6):351–353.
- Herisson F, Delaroche O, Auffray-Calvier E, Duport BD, Guillon B. Ischemia-modified albumin and heart fatty acid-binding protein: could early ischemic cardiac biomarkers be used in acute stroke management? J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2010 Jul-Aug;19(4):279–282.
- Can S, Akdur O, Yildirim A, Adam G, Cakir DU, Karaman HI. Myelin basic protein and ischemia modified albumin levels in acute ischemic stroke cases. Pak J Med Sci. 2015 Sep-Oct;31(5):1110–1114.
- Falkensammer J, Frech A, Duschek N, Gasteiger S, Stojakovic T, Scharnagl H et al. Prognostic relevance of ischemia-modified albumin and NT-proBNP in patients with peripheral arterial occlusive disease. Clin Chim Acta. 2015 Jan;438:255–260.
- Chawla R, Loomba R, Guru D, Loomba V. Ischemia Modified Albumin (IMA) – A Marker of Glycaemic Control and Vascular Complications in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. J Clin Diagn Res. 2016 Mar;10(3):BC13–BC16.
- Yin M, Liu X, Chen X, Li C, Qin W, Han H et al. Ischemia- modified albumin is a predictor of short-term mortality in patients with severe sepsis. J Crit Care. 2016 Aug; 37:7–12.
- Ozdemir M, Kivici A, Balevi A, Mevlitoglu I, Peru C. Assessment of ischaemia-modified albumin level in patients with psoriasis. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2012 Aug;37:610–614.
- Chandrashekar L, Kumarit GR, Rajappa M. 25-hydroxy vitamin D and ischaemia-modified albumin levels in psoriasis and their association with disease severity. Br J Biomed Sci. 2015 Jul;72(2):56–60.
- Caglar GS, Oztas E, Karadag D, Pabuccu R, Demirtas S. Ischemia-modified albumin and cardiovascular risk markers in polycystic ovary syndrome with or without insulin resistance. Fertil Steril. 2011 Jan;95(1):310–313.
- Ma SG, Wei CL, Hong B, Yu WN. Ischemia-modified albumin in type 2 diabetic patients with and without peripheral arterial disease. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2011;66(10):1677–1680.
- Klafke JZ, Porto FG, Batista R, Bochi GV, Moresco RN, da Luz PL et al. Association between hypertriglyceridemia and protein oxidation and proinflammatory markers in normocholesterolemic and hypercholesterolemic individuals. Clin Chim Acta. 2015 Aug;448:50–57.
- Bahinipati J, Mohapatra PC. Ischemia Modified Albumin as a Marker of Oxidative Stress in Normal Pregnancy. J Clin Diagn Res. 2016 Sep;10(9):BC15–BC17.
- Seshadri Reddy V, Bukke S, Mahato K, Kumar V, Reddy NV, Munikumar M. A meta-analysis of the association of serum ischemia-modified albumin levels with human hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. Biosci Rep. 2016 Dec 5. pii: BSR20160268. [Epub ahead of print]
- He Y, Chen R, Wang J, Pan W, Sun Y, Han F et al. Neurocognitive impairment is correlated with oxidative stress in patients with moderate-to-severe obstructive sleep apnea hypopnea syndrome. Respir Med. 2016 Nov;120:25–30.