AbstractTraditional surgical repair and endovascular repair (EVAR) are the treatment options for abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. EVAR as less invasive becomes a significant and widely accepted way of treatment aortic aneurysms with expanding number of procedures. This technique has a lover short-term mortality and a shorter hospital stay but is not free from complications. The most common complication after EVAR are endoleaks. For the first time summarised and assessed in 1997. Although it is often asymptomatic but may cause aneurysm expanding and rupture. Endoleak is defined as persistent blood flow into the aneurysm sac. It can be revealed intra-operatively or during the follow up – CT; arteriography, angio-MRI enables endoleak diagnosis. Usage of duplex sonography is questionable. In this mini-review we summarise endolek diagnostic, classification and treatment options.
Download data is not yet available.
- Kent KC. Clinical practice. Abdominal aortic aneurysms. N Engl J Med. 2014 Nov 27;371(22):2101–8.
- Blankensteijn JD, de Jong SE, Prinssen M, van der Ham AC, Buth J, van Sterkenburg SM et al. Two-year outcomes after conventional or endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms. Dutch Randomized Endovascular Aneurysm Management (DREAM) Trial Group N Engl J Med. 2005 Jun 9;352(23):2398–405.
- Liaw JV, Clark M, Gibbs R, Jenkins M, Cheshire N, Hamady M. Update: Complications and management of infrarenal EVAR. Eur J Radiol. 2009 Sep;71(3):541–51.
- White GH, Yu W, May J. Endoleak as a complication of endoluminal grafting of abdominal aortic aneurysms: classification, incidence, diagnosis, and management. J Endovasc Surg. 1997 May;4(2):152–68.
- Frank J Veith, MD, Richard A. Baum, MD, Takao Ohki, MD, Max Amor. Nature and significance of endoleaks and endotension: Summary of opinions expressed at an international conference. J Vasc Surg. 2002 May;35(5):1029–35.
- Moll FL, Powell JT, Fraedrich G, Verzini F, Haulon S, Waltham M. Management of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms Clinical Practice Guidelines of the European Society for Vascular Surgery. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2011 Jan;41(Suppl. 1):S1–S58.
- White GH, May J, Waugh RC, Chaufour X, Yu W. Type III and type IV endoleak: toward a complete definition of blood flow in the sac after endoluminal AAA repair. J Endovasc Surg. 1998;5:305e9
- Mirza TA, Karthikesalingam A, Jackson D, Walsh SR, Holt PJ, Hayes PD et al. Duplex ultrasound and contrast-enhanced ultrasound versus computed tomography for the detection of endoleak after evar: systematic review and bivariate meta-analysis. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2010;39:418e28.
- Faries PL, Cadot H, Agarwal G, Kent KC, Hollier LH, Marin ML. Management of endoleak after endovascular aneurysm repair: cuffs, coils, and conversion. J Vasc Surg. 2003;37:1155e61.
- Kelso RL, Lyden SP, Butler B, Greenberg RK, Eagleton MJ, Clair DG. Late conversion of aortic stent grafts. J Vasc Surg. 2009;49:589e95.