AbstractIntroduction. In certain pathological states within cardiovascular system, cardiomyocytes may exhibit overexpression of TNF-? that results in induction of myocardial oxidative stress and cardiac cells apoptosis. Thus, they may participate in development and progression of post-infarct congestive heart failure. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of polyphenol-rich Aronia melanocarpa extract (AME) on TNF-? induced apoptosis in cardiomyoblast H9c2 cells.
Material and Methods. Apoptosis was measured in H9c2 cells preincubated with increasing concentrations of commercial extract of aronia – Aronox (10–50 µg/mL) for 24h and then treated with TNF-?: 100 ng/mL for 24h as well. The MTT assay was used to determine cardiomyoblasts viability. Alteration of the mitochondrial membrane potential, specific for apoptotic cells, was evaluated with caspase-3 activity assay kit.
Results. Our results showed that AME significantly inhibited TNF-? induced apoptosis (IC50 = 55.84 µg/mL) and cytotoxicity in H9c2 cells. Significant inhibition of apoptosis was observed in all tested concentrations of AME. The highest anti-apoptotic and cytoprotective effect was observed at the highest concentration (50 µg/mL), while in lower the concentrations cytoprotective effect was statistically insignificant.
Conclusions. Polyphenol-rich AME exhibits anti-apoptotic and cytoprotective effect in H9c2 cardiomyoblasts treated with TNF-?. Further studies are required in context of its possible application in prevention and/or therapy of cardiovascular diseases.
Download data is not yet available.
- Dhalla NS, Temsah RM, Netticadan T. Role of oxidative stress in cardiovascular diseases. J Hypertens. 2000 Jun;18(6):655–673.
- Feldman AM, Combes A, Wagner D, Kadakomi T, Kubota T, Li YY, et al. The role of tumor necrosis factor in the pathophysiology of heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2000 Mar;35(3):537–544.
- Ferrari R. 2002. The role of TNF in cardiovascular disease. Pharmacol Ther. 1999 Aug;40(2):123–135.
- Denev PN, Kratchanow CG, Ciz M, Lojek A, Kratchanova MG. Bioavailability and antioxidant activity of black chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa) polyphenols: in vitro and in vivo evidences and possible mechanisms of action: a review. Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf. 2012 Sep;11(5):471–489.
- Dai J, Mumper RJ. Plant phenolics: extraction, analysis and their antioxidant and anticancer properties. Molecules. 2010 Oct;15(10):7313–7352.
- Naruszewicz M, Dłużniewski M. Are bioflavonoids of aronia used combined with statins may be helpful in decreasing the risk of the progression of atherosclerosis among the sick after a cardiac infarction. Ordynator Lek. 2005;5(4):25–28.
- Naruszewicz M, Laniewska I, Millo B, Dłużniewski M. Combination therapy of statin with flavonoids rich extract from chokeberry fruits enhanced reduction in cardiovascular risk markers in patients after myocardial infraction (MI). Atherosclerosis. 2007 Oct;194(2):179–184.
- Zapolska-Downar D, Bryk D, Małecki M, Hajdukiewicz K, Sitkiewicz D. Aronia melanocarpa fruit extract exhibits anti-inflammatory activity in human aortic endothelial cells. Eur J Nutr. 2012 Aug;51(5):563–572.
- Zapolska-Downar D, Nowicka G, Sygitowicz G, Jarosz M. Anthocyanin-rich Aronox extract from Aronia melanocarpa E protects against 7beta-hydroxycholesterol-induced apoptosis of endothelial cells. Ann Nutr Metab. 2008;53(3–4):283–294.
- Angeloni C, Spencer JP, Leoncini E, Biagi PL, Hrelia S. Role of quercetin and its in vivo metabolites in protecting H9c2 cells against oxidative stress. Biochimie. 2007 Jan;89(1):73–82.
- Ling S, Luo R, Dai A, Guo Z, Guo R, Komesaroff PA. A pharmaceutical preparation of Salvia miltiorrhiza protects cardiac myocytes from tumor necrosis factor-induced apoptosis and reduces angiotensin II-stimulated collagen synthesis in fibroblasts. Phytomedicine. 2009 Jan;16(1):56–64.
- Lv XC, Zhou HY. Resveratrol protects H9c2 embryonic rat heart derived cells from oxidative stress by inducing autophagy: role of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2012 May;90(5):655–662.
- Chang YM, Tsai CT, Wang CC, Chen YS, Lin YM, Kuo CH, et al. Alpinate oxyphyllae fructus (Alpinia Oxyphylla Miq) extracts inhibit angiotensin-II induced cardiac apoptosis in H9c2 cardiomyoblast cells. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2013 Feb;77(2):229–234.
- Zeng X, Tan X. Epigallocatechin-3-gallate and zinc provide anti-apoptotic protection against hypoxia/reoxygenation injury in H9c2 rat cardiac myoblast cells. Mol Med Rep. 2015 Aug;12(2):1850–1856.
- Kedzierska M, Olas B, Wachowicz B, Glowacki R, Bald E, Czernek U, et al. Effects of the commercial extract of aronia on oxidative stress in blood platelets isolated from breast cancer patients after the surgery and various phases of the chemotherapy. Fitoterapia. 2012 Mar;83(2):310–317.
- World Health Organization. 2014. Global status report on noncommunicable diseases 2014. http://www.who.int/nmh/publications/ncd-status-report-2014/en/. Accessed February 23 2016.
- Santulli G. 2013. Epidemiology of cardiovascular disease in the 21st century: updated numbers and updated facts. JCvD. 2013 Jul;1(1):1–2.
- Olivetti G, Quaini F, Sala R, Lagrasta C, Corradi D, Bonacina E, et al. Acute myocardial infarction in humans is associated with activation of programmed myocyte cell death in the surviving portion of the heart. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 1996 Sep;28(9):2005–2016..
- Takemura G, Ohno M, Hayakawa Y, Misao J, Kanoh M, Ohno A, et al. Role of apoptosis in the disappearance of infiltrated and proliferated interstitial cells after myocardial infarction. Circ Res. 1998 Jun;82(11):1130–1138.
- Kim NH, Kang PM. Apoptosis in Cardiovascular Diseases: Mechanism and Clinical Implications. Korean Circ J. 2010 Jul;40(7):299–305.
- Kim JJ, Lee SB, Park JK, Yoo YD. TNF-alpha-induced ROS production triggering apoptosis is directly linked to Romo1 and Bcl-X(L). Cell Death Differ. 2010 Sep;17(9):1420–1434.
- Xia M, Ling W, Zhu H, Ma J, Wang Q, Hou M, et al. Anthocyanin attenuates CD40-mediated endothelial cell activation and apoptosis by inhibiting CD40-induced MAPK activation. Atherosclerosis. 2009 Jan;202(1):41–47.
- Zhu W, Jia Q, Wang Y, Zhang Y, Xia M. The anthocyanin cyanidin-3-O-ß-glucoside, a flavonoid, increases hepatic glutathione synthesis and protects hepatocytes against reactive oxygen species during hyperglycemia: Involvement of a cAMP-PKA-dependent signaling pathway. Free Radic Biol Med. 2012 Jan;52(2):314–327.
- Lee JS, Kim YR, Song IG, Ha SJ, Kim YE, Baek NI, et al. Cyanidin-3-glucoside isolated from mulberry fruit protects pancreatic ß-cells against oxidative stress-induced apoptosis. Int J Mol Med. 2015 Feb;35(2):405–412.
- Wätjen W, Michels G, Steffan B, Niering P, Chovolou Y, Kampkötter A, et al. Low concentrations of flavonoids are protective in rat H4IIE cells whereas high concentrations cause DNA damage and apoptosis. J Nutr. 2005 Mar;135(3):525–531.
- Sharif T, Alhosin M, Auger C, Minker C, Kim JH, Etienne-Selloum N, et al. Aronia melanocarpa Juice Induces a Redox-Sensitive p73-Related Caspase 3-Dependent Apoptosis in Human Leukemia Cells. PLoS One. 2012 Mar;7(3):e32526.
- McGhie TK, Walton MC. The bioavailability and absorption of anthocyanins: towards a better understanding. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2007 Jun;51(6):702–713.
- Hollman PC1, Cassidy A, Comte B, Heinonen M, Richelle M, Richling E, et al. The biological relevance of direct antioxidant effects of polyphenols for cardiovascular health in humans is not established. J Nutr. 2011 May;141(5):989–1009.
- Konić Ristić A, Srdić-Rajić T, Kardum N, Glibetić M. Biological activity of Aronia melanocarpa antioxidants pre-screening in an intervention study design. J Serb Chem Soc. 2013 Jan;78(3):429–443.
- de Pascual-Teresa S, Moreno DA, García-Viguera C. Flavanols and anthocyanins in cardiovascular health: a review of current evidence. Int J Mol Sci. 2010 Apr;11(4):1679–1703.