The Medical News ("Nowiny Lekarskie"), one of the eldest scientific journals dealing with medical subjects in Poland, originally edited by the Poznan Society of Friends in Sciences had the original full title of "Medical News, the Organ of Medical Faculty in Poznan Society of Friends in Sciences". Its first issue appeared in January, 1889, opening with the article devoted to life of Karol Marcinkowski (entitled "The legacy of spirit"). The joumal, publishing also results of foreign authors, played a significant role as a medium of scientific information.
Apart from the scrupulousness related to scientific merits a particular attention was paid to the level of the used Polish language, which is worth stressing considering the fact that the Medical News were appearing in the period of a pronounced germanization. With the pause in the war period, the journal appeared till 1950 when by the order of central authorities it was liquidated.
On the occasion of the hundredth anniversary of thej ournal in 1989 a jubilee issue appeared an due to efforts of professor Antoni Pruszewicz the journal was reactivated as a bi-monthly and it has been appearing till today, edited by the Scientific Editions of Poznan University of Medical Sciences (earlier Medical Academy).
Till 2001, the function of main editor was fulfilled by professor Jan Hasik. After his death the function has been taken by professor Marian Grzymislawski.
Beginning at January, 2014 the journal is edited as a quarterly under an altered name of the Journal of Medical Science.